Sunday, September 17, 2017

Reflections on the Stillwater Pond

the stillwater pond

in the stillwater pond i saw reflected a face
not as young as i would have imagined
but not as troubled either.

perhaps the years had not treated me
as badly as i had thought,
or maybe the reflection was wrong,
my vision distorted.

a frog, sharing my concern
(or i, perhaps, his space)
broke the glass of my mirror.
his sudden leap into the pond startled me
and sent me smiling on my way.
4/21/1991



live each day
to unlock it special mysteries,
keeping your mind open and free.

walk the lesser-traveled paths
seeking not so much the great revelations
as the simple truths.

enslave not your heart
to one love or philosophy.
rather, keep it as free as the wind,
and touch each leaf's perfection.

11/6/1973




the untouched earth

the flower's bloom is bursting forth,
the grass is long and bending.
drinking life from the burning sun
in a cycle, never ending.

the crystal lake's reflective blue
mirrors the cloudless sky,
as shadows fall from lofty pines
and a swan that passes by.

and i will dream and watch this scene,
enjoying life's full worth,
while reaching out with trembling hand
to touch the untouched earth.
4/27/1974

No comments:

Post a Comment